Wednesday, May 28, 2008

No License to Parent Necessary




One of my special students constantly battles with his mom and wins. Today he refused to come to school and mom couldn’t make him. I walked into the office as our assistant principal was on the phone with his mother. She tried to coax him to the phone to talk him but he wouldn’t budge. I asked her to tell him that I wanted to talk to him. He answered the phone and sounded like he had been crying (which he never does at school). I talked to him and we had a good conversation. He agreed to get dressed and come to school. However, I was disappointed when he never showed up. It is amazing to see that he runs that household and his mother has no control over him what-so-ever. It makes me so sad as I think about what his life might become. If you get a chance, please pray for my student and his family. I pray that I have impacted him in a meaningful way and that somehow he will come to know the Lord and turn his life around. I am praying for his teacher next year as well. He requires lots of patience and love. I had to work hard to build a relationship with him and work even harder not to get into power struggles with him because he will be sure to win. I am praying that his next teacher will immediately have a desire to love on him and disciple him in ways that he is not receiving at home.

1 comment:

  1. WOW... that is amazing. I know that you have worked hard to be the best influence you can be to this student. You have truly been a light to him. I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete