Monday, May 5, 2008

So What's in a Name?


Well, I guess it is a new day for me as I try this whole blogging thing. The title of my blog actually came from my students. The other day we had Junior Achievement in our classroom. A local firefighter came to teach the kids some great lessons about community etc. They made their own city and in the process they had to come up with a name. They didn't quite get the concept of an "original name" and they kept naming their city things like "Austin" or even "Texas." (I guess I need to work on the concept of what a city actually is!) Our firefighter started leading them to pick something that had to do with my name and one of my witty one's suggested "Gililland's Island." They had a great time creating "Gililland's Island" and even creating a newspaper and learning to write checks! Now I guess I have my work cut out for me in teaching the difference between a city and state! That is a hard concept for third graders.

No comments:

Post a Comment