Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Thankful for a Home


For those of you who do not know, Abilene is one of the site's that the IRC (International Rescue Committee) places refugees when they come to America and my school happens to be the main school to receive them because we have a New-comer center to meet their needs. I have had a student from Burundi in my classroom this year who arrived to America just before school began in August. Let me just say how blessed I have been to have this student in my room! (I am blessed to have all of my students, but this one has blessed me in a new way.) Tonight all of the students from Africa will perform at the PTA meeting. We were able to preview their performance at an assembly a few minutes ago. Wow! I had tears streaming down my face as I watched these precious children dance beneath a banner that read, "Thank you, we have a home!" They said the Pledge of Allegiance along with the Burundi National Anthem and then proceeded to give us a taste of their home country through song and dance. I am reminded of what a privledged life we lead while I am also so thankful for the opportunity to play a small part in the life of a student whose life up until this point has been very different from my own. What a blessing that the Lord is bringing the nations to us!

Matthew 28: 19-20 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog!!! :) Welcome to the world of blogging! :) I LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete