Thursday, October 28, 2010

Teaching is truly a calling

Can I just say that I love my job?! I think that everyone should get up each morning and do what they love. It is an all- consuming, life-changing kind of job, but the countless extra hours are completely worth it to me as I work at making a difference in the future of tomorrow.

But can I just tell you how discouraged I get when I hear people talking negatively about their child's teacher?! I realize that there are some teachers that do not passionately pursue their jobs in the manner it requires; however, most people have NO CLUE the amount of time, effort, stress, love and care that goes into teaching.

Can I just be honest?

Parents are the hardest part of my job.

I love each of my children as if they were my own. I work extremely hard and often times parents can make it feel as if you are doing the most horrific job ever. 90% of the parents I have dealt with in my 8 years of teaching are fabulous, but the few who are critical and mean make my job a nightmare at times.

All this to say, please encourage your child's teachers. Remember when you are feeling critical of something that they are doing that you are only seeing a very small piece of what is going on. Always be willing to talk and listen BEFORE you take it to the principal. Nothing is more frustrating than finding out a parent is upset when they never spoke with me about it first. Always step back and remember what an underpaid, thankless job teaching is and try to notice the good things your child's teacher is doing... and tell them!

I am not saying this because of anything I have had to deal with recently. I just want to lovingly send out this reminder because I think it is easy to get critical and speak negatively, but we have no idea what might be going on in someone else's world. One example of this occurred a few years ago when I had to put my mom into hospice care. I arrived back to school after a very difficult weekend (and months of turmoil) only to find a very upset parent (who had never spoken with me previously about their concerns). This parent had no idea what was going on in my personal life, but became extremely critical for something that was completely out of my control.

That is just one small example... thankfully I have an amazing principal who was quick to back me up... but it definitely struck me in a very personal way during a time when I felt my lowest.

Love on your teachers... shine Christ to them even when they don't deserve it. We all make mistakes. (And by all means do NOT bad-mouth them publicly. This only makes you look bad.)

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Colossians 3:12

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire just started kindergarten, so thank you for these words. I hope our family can be a blessing to her teacher.

    ReplyDelete